AIR24 - Artists in Residence Program
AIR24 - Artist in Residency Program provides a creative space for visiting artists to explore and experiment, we encourage visiting artists to collaborate with the Alice Springs community across various art forms.
The AIR Program aims to :
- Provide artists in residence opportunities across a wide spectrum of craft to showcase to the community of Central Australia.
- Support the creation of new work inspired in our well-equipped studio spaces inspired by our amazing Central Australian landscape and local culture.
- Provide creative workshops for the community of Alice Springs to assist in the professional or personal development of members of Central Craft, Master class level workshops are best.
- Possibility of selling work through our gift shop and/or having an exhibition / Pop Up in the June Marriott Gallery (dependant on availability) on a 35% commission
Applications will be assessed on:
- Providing a wide variety of craft practitioners throughout the year
- Projects that consider the location and context.
- A desire to demonstrate and promote your art form.
- Artistic merit and innovation.
- Residency fee is $250 per calendar month.
- Works sold in the shop or the June Marriott Gallery are sold on a 35% commission
The program includes:
- Designated studio space 4m x 2.5m in Central Crafts well equipped studio.
- Studio access including out of hours’ key and security code
- Unlimited use of Wi-Fi tools and equipment, extra fee for kiln firing
- Work alongside other experienced artists.
- Promotion of workshops & pop up exhibition (dependent on availability of our gallery)
- Paid workshop event (The AIR will be paid $70/hr +1 x $50 prep/pack up for conducting a skills workshop / Masterclass, workshops are usually 3 hours long, Central Craft will provide materials )
- Residency of one to two months or as agreed prior to the start of the program.
- Please note: that there is no accommodation, payment, stipend or wage associated with this program. Artists are encouraged to seek funding from their local jurisdiction i.e: Regional Arts Fund
- Accommodation is available nearby on the Araluen Cultural Precinct, this needs to be rented separately & booked early. Contact the Customer Service Manager: Heather.McIntyre@nt.gov.au
What is expected from the artist – Central Craft Artist in Residence Program
- Portray Central Craft and the Artist in Residence program in a positive way.
- Artistic exchange with members of Central Craft and the broader Central Australian arts community.
- Commit to creating new work which responds to Central Australia.
- Allow images of work produced through the program to be used in promotional material to promote the program and events or activities at Central Craft
- Be visible and accessible to visitors/ tourists to the Studio.
- Be covered under your own insurance.
- Be self-motivated and able to work independently as well as with others.
- Adhere to Central Craft studio OH&S expectations, including treating other studio users and shared equipment in a respectful way.
What you should submit
Application form or attachment
- WHO: Your current CV - please include any teaching/workshop experience
- WHAT: Nature of current work - Describe your creative practice (Artist Statement + 10 images max)
- WHEN: The exact dates and length of the proposed residency
- WHY: Proposal outline - Describe the project you would undertake/new work you would like to develop, why do you want to do the ARI, (benefits to you, Central Craft)
- WHAT ELSE: Would you be willing to and how would you like to engage with community members and visitors traveling through Central Australia?
Terms and Conditions
All cancellations must be received in writing (emails accepted). The cancellation is not confirmed until you receive a formal written notification from Central Craft
As a courtesy please advise us as soon as possible about any changes to your program dates or ability to participate. If you are not able to participate in the Program you are offered, we reserve the right to offer your place to another applicant.
Submission can be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org